Bing Search Engine is a Microsoft product. It is the second-largest search engine after Google. So we can’t ignore this one. Let’s understand how to set up the Bing Webmaster Tools for our website in 2021.
Recently Bing released a new version of Webmaster Tools. Bing search engine is the default search engine of Microsoft Edge. And it also provides data to the Yahoo search engine. That means webmasters can’t ignore the Bing search engine.
This tutorial guide helps you from setting up an account to analyze the website SEO. Complete Tutorial guide for Search webmaster.
How to Setup the Bing Webmaster Tools for your website.
Create an account or sign in to Bing Webmaster tools. You can use your Microsoft, Google, or Facebook account to log in.
- Click on Sign in
- Choose any from the available option
Verify Website/s to Bing Webmaster Tools
You can add your website/s using two methods.
- Fetch all verified website data from Google Console
- Add a website manually, and verify it.
If you go with the first option, you have to click on import, and all website data from the Google search console will be fetched.
Or you can add your website mannually, by adding website name.
Bing provide you three options to verify your website
- Using XML file: In this, you’ve to upload the XML file to your website’s root directory.
- HTML meta tags Method: This is the easiest method to verify a website. We’ll use this method.
- Adding CNAME values to the DNS: In this, you’ve to log in to your domain name provider account. And Add CNAME values.
From the above 3 options, we’ll go with the 2nd option. In this, we’ve to add the meta tag value to our live website. This value should be added in the header section between
</head> semantic tags. Let’s add it for blogger and WordPress.
Verify a Blogger Website
You can verify a blogger website by editing its XML theme file using the Edit HTML method. Learn about the edit HTML method of the blogger. You’ve to find <head> tag. And paste the copy meta tag just below the
<head> tag. And save the XML theme file. Now click on verify button in Bing Webmaster Tools. Your website will be verified.
Verify a WordPress website.
Verify a website using Yoast SEO Plugin
In Yoast SEO Plugin, access the dashboard of the plugin from the left-hand side. Scroll to General Settings> Webmaster Tools settings.
Here you’ve to paste the HTML meta tag provided by Bing Webmaster Tool for verification. You should verify your website to Google Search Console too.
Using All in One SEO.
All in One SEO plugin provides this option under general settings. You have to scroll to General Settings>Webmaster Tools.
Here you can verify your Bing Webmaster, Google Search Console, etc. Click on Bing and Enter the HTML meta tag copied from Bing Webmaster Tools.
Using Rank Math SEO Plugin
In the Rank Math SEO Plugin, you can access webmaster settings in general settings like the above.
You’ve to scroll to General Settings>Webmaster Tools and then paste the HTML meta tag in the Bing webmaster tools Section provided. Now save the changes.
Home of Bing Webmaster Tools
Bing Webmaster Tools Dashboard
After successful verification of your website, you’ll be redirected to Dashboard of Bing Webmaster Tool.
By default, you’ll be at the home section of the Bing webmaster tool. Here you can see various reports about your website. Please note, you can see this data after few days of verification of the website.
- Report about Search Performance.
- SEO report of your website.
- This section display how much URL quota you’ve and how used today.
The next report is search performance report for your website.
In the search performance tab, you can check your website’s performance on the keywords (provided in the 4th section).
You can use these keywords to rank various pages of your website. If a keyword ranks in the 5th position, you can work on the related page to boost SERP and optimize the keyword more.
Bing Webmaster URL Inspection
In the inspection tab, you can inspect the URLs of your website. And check whether URLs are indexed on Bing Search Engine or Not.
- Shows the status of URL i.e. indexed or not, in the Bing Search Engine.
- This tab suggests the fixes, like here one SEO issue of HTML size.
- Type of markup data used on the website for rich results in Bing. Like Schema Markup data, Open Graph, etc.
Search Performance Bing Webmaster Tools
This tool explores your website’s all sections, sub-sections, the status of all that. It also displays indexed pages, warnings, pages with error, and excluded pages from the search result.
Submit sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools.
This tool allows you to submit the sitemap of the WordPress or Blogger website to the webmaster tool. We’re disclosing the website URL here. :)
Submit sitemap of the Blogger blog.
Blogger blog, by default, contains a sitemap under the root directory of the blog. You can access it by adding /sitemap.xml and sitemap-pages.xml.
Scroll to sitemap section of the webmaster tool
- Click on the submit sitemap button provided in the upper right corner.
- Enter the sitemap URL and
- Submit the sitemap to the Bing Webmaster Tool.
Submit Sitemap of WordPress website
If you’re using Yoast and Rank Math SEO Plugin, enter these value
For All in One SEO plugin Enter these values
This tool provides you option to submit URLs that are updated or newly added to your website. There will be a limit of URLs that can be submitted per day.
This limit can vary from 10 to 10k/day. It will increase with the life of your website.
Search Engine Optimization(SEO) Section in Webmaster Tools
This section is especially for on-page and external link SEO of your website. You can keep your eyes on on-Page SEO.
Off-Page SEO means how your website performing on the internet. How others linking or referring your website on their own webpage.
- Total Number of Website that is referring to your webpage.
- How many pages of other websites referring your website.
- What anchor text they used to link your website.
- Name of all the domains that are providing links.
- Pages of your website that are getting links from external websites.
- Anchor text is used to link the pages.
- Similar websites that compete with you.
- Disavow links: in this, you can block suspicious websites to refer to your website. This will result that the search engine will not consider that referral.
With on-page SEO, off-Page SEO is also important. You must keep an eye on this too.
Keyword Research in Bing Webmaster Tools.
The keyword is a significant part of any website. These keywords define the ranking of your website in the search results.
Here in this screenshot you can analyse a data of one the keyword.
- The keyword of which report is analyzed.
- How the keyword performed.
- Performance report of the keyword in the various countries.
- You can sort your report by various parameters provided.
You can also check SERP of your webpage in the Bing Search Result.
In this section of Bing Webmaster Tool, you can check the SEO reports. Usually On-Page error.
- The total number of SEO errors on your website.
- The number of affected pages.
- The priority of the errors
- Type of the SEO errors.
So you’ve to worry about errors in pages that are allowed to index. Mean if a type of page is marked as noindex in the robots meta tag and still shows some error like description error. You don’t have to worry about that much.
If it shows an error of the image alt tag, then if it is the content itself, you’ve to make the necessary changes. But sometimes, it is due to the profile image of a comment, that should be ignored.
Scan your website and check errors if any.
This tool can be used to check errors in your website. You’ll get a monthly quota; like in the above example, 9260 pages quota is left. That means we can scan up to 9260 more pages on this website. This quota renews every month.
- Enter the Name of the scan, anything you like.
- Type of scan. To check errors in the website, select the website and enter the URL.
- The maximum number of pages that can be scanned will use your quota. For example, if you choose 1000 and it scans a total of 280 pages. Then a quota of 280 will consume not 1000.
- Start the scan. After completion of the scan, you’ll receive an email at your registered email address.
You can control the search engine to control the Bing crawl bot and your pages’ appearance in the search results in the configuration settings.
This section devided in Two
It lets you control over bing crawling; you can set the timing according to your website updates and traffic. You can choose a time when you update your website or when traffic is low. If you’re a fast server, then you can allow the crawler to crawl anytime.
You can block some of your URLs that you don’t want to display in search results. You have to submit the complete URL, and that URL will not be displayed in Bing search results.
Tools and Enhancement
This contains robot tools. The first option here is of robots.txt file, and the second is to verify a bingbot from Bing Webmaster Tools.
Robots.txt File check.
You can test whether the robots.txt file blocks a page or not. You have to enter the URL and run the test. If the robots.txt file blocks some important URL, edit this robots.txt file with SEO plugins on the WordPress website. In Blogger, you can do a best practice using robots meta and robots.txt together.
If there are some malicious activities or someone tries to access your website. And you can check the log file that notifies the activity’s IP address. Then you can verify that it was a bing bot or not. If it was a bing bot, then nothing to worry about, and if not, then you’ve to block such URLs to access your website.
Security and Privacy.
There are three sections these are copyright, user management, and Microsoft Clarity.
If you see any copyright notice, then you may use other copyright content on your website. If you’re that you hadn’t used any, then you can revert copyright to review the notice.
In the user management section, you can add more users to the project to analyze the reports.
There is a new section that is Microsoft Clarity. In this, you can check user’s activity on your website. You can analyze the needs of users from your website. You can check the website’s heatmap, insights, etc. We’ll soon cover this in a separate article.
So this is all about Microsoft Bing Webmaster Tools; I hope you liked this article. In case of any doubt, feel free to ask in the comment section