Blogger and WordPress are the most popular content management systems. Usually, a beginner gets confused while choosing the content management system(CMS). Here, we’ll discuss the features of both CMSs that will surely help you choose the best one according to your need. This article will compare all the features of Blogger vs. WordPress.
Blogger Blogspot is a free blogging platform where you can start a blog and share your ideas with the world. Google manages the microblogging platform Blogger. So you’ve limited functionality over it, but at the same time, you don’t have to worry about its security, server, etc.
Features of Blogger – Easy to manage, Blog
If we talk about the features of the Blogger platform, it provides the following features. The CMS is easy to manage,
Pros of Blogger
- Easy to create a blog page and publish it. You can create a blog in 2 minutes and start blogging with it.
- Easy to understand User-Interface; hence it is easy to manage. (change theme, make modifications).
- You can customize blog design as Blogger now support more customization (but it is limited).
- Blogging is completely free; there is no need to pay for hosting.
- The servers are secure—no worry about the security of the website.
- You can set up a custom domain name for the Blogger blog.
- Inbuild SEO tools like XML sitemap, robots.txt, etc.
Cons of Blogger
- Limited functionality control over Blogger blog,
- URLs are not SEO friendly,
- Google has the right to modify or delete your content or complete blog,
- No drag and drop feature, and plugin support.
- To make any changes in the theme file, you have to tweak with codes. Sometimes that may be hard to perform.
WordPress – A self-hosted content management system
WordPress CMS is a complete web hosting platform. Where one can completely take control over the content, design, structure, etc., these are some significant pros and cons:
Pros of WordPress
- A self-hosted platform provides complete control over the blog,
- Easy to make changes in design, blog functionality by using Plugins and themes,
- Support the Google updates, new features, for example, AMP pages.
- Can track SEO of blog by using Plugins like Yoast SEO, Rank Math SEO, or All in One SEO plugin,
Cons of WordPress
- You have to invest some amount in starting a WordPress blog for WordPress hosting, Theme, Plugins, etc.
- Security of the WordPress website is your concern unless you’re on a WordPress Managed Hosting Plan. The managed plan can protect WordPress from external attacks, and if you install nulled themes or plugins, it will be your concern.
Blogger vs WordPress – Detailed Comparision.
Search Engine Optimization(SEO):
- WordPress allows defining a custom URL structure that is cleaner. Clean URLs are a plus point for SEO.
- In WordPress, you can use SEO Plugins to track the SEO of the pages or posts, but in Blogger, there is no such feature.
- WordPress supports AMP pages, but there is no such feature for Blogger.
- Interlinking of the post or pages is very easy in WordPress than in Blogger.
- WordPress serves the same URL for mobile and desktop, but in Blogger, there is an m=1 issue.
- Some believe that Blogger is a product of Google, so it is more SEO-friendly than WordPress, but it is not. Google treats each CMS in the same way.
- HTML5 Themes: There are many themes for WordPress that support HTML5 page structure, but in Blogger, there are few and hard to find. So we’re helping you in finding the HTML5, SEO-friendly Blogger themes. You can check out all Blogger themes by seoneurons here.
From all the points provided above, you can see that WordPress is the clear winner for SEO. That means if you’re willing to start a website that should be available for all, WordPress is the best choice.
Themes and Plugins
In a WordPress site, you can easily add or remove features using themes and plugins. But In Blogger, this job is hard to perform as you should be friendly with CSS, JS, and XML coding.
In WordPress, one can efficiently perform many tasks by using themes and plugins. But in Blogger, there is no plugins feature, so you’ve to tweak with codes manually. So it’s hard to make any change in the Blogger blog.
Security of Blogger and WordPress
Blogger is hosted with the Google server, and Google is responsible for its security. That means the Blogger is secure than WordPress. In WordPress, you’ve to take care of permission of package files, security breaches, etc.
Migration of WordPress vs. Blogger
Blogger blogs are hard to migrate from the Google server. If you move Blogger blog to WordPress, you may lose the SEO of pages as page URLs will change.
WordPress websites are easy to migrate from one server to another. Suppose you choose a hosting server at the initial state, and that uptime is not good. WordPress backup allows you to restore it at the fastest WordPress hosting.
Backup and Restore feature.
But in the Blogger blog, you can’t set up a scheduled blog backup, as there is no provision available on the Blogger dashboard. You’ve to take the backup manually, and that backup is hard to restore as it may generate different URLs than original blogposts.
In WordPress, many hosting providers provide schedule backup like Hostinger. If the hosting provider doesn’t offer such a feature, you can also set up scheduled backup on WordPress using the UpdraftPlus Backup plugin.
Conclusion – which one is better?
You’ve to run a personal blog, small blog, or group blog. You can go with Blogger Blogspot as it is free, easy to use, and secure. You don’t have to worry about its hosting. It will be live forever. Blogger blogs are not suitable for professional purposes. And if you want to start a blog to make money, then Blogger will not be a good idea.
WordPress is better if you start a public blog or website to gain more organic traffic over time. You can use it for personal and professional blogs.
So when we compare Blogger vs. WordPress, we found that Blogger is best for micro blogging but not for professional purposes. You can choose WordPress, which will include all future updates related to blogging, and available a large number of plugins provides additional features to WordPress.
WordPress website attracts more traffic, allows you to perform as many tasks as you can. So if you’re looking at blogging as a career or for business, WordPress is for you.