Yoast SEO plugin is one of the famous WordPress SEO plugins. But if you don’t know how to use it, it will be like you’ve one of the best cars in the world, but you don’t know how to drive. This tutorial article will discuss how to set up the Yoast SEO plugin for the best results.
SEO settings are essential, And it is necessary to read this post word by word (especially the setup section) to understand the impact of every Yoast SEO section. Some settings are different for the new and old blog and will significantly impact the search result pages of your WordPress website.
What is Yoast SEO Plugin?
Yoast SEO Plugin’s settings allow you to customize page structure for the search engine. We can declare what should index or not, what to include in the sitemap, or not.
The Yoast SEO plugin also helps in analyzing the content for the search engine. There are two features available with this plugin,
- Readability Score: where you can check the toughness of words or sentences used in the article,
- SEO Score: How the search engine can understand the content.
Yoast SEO also generates an XML sitemap for WordPress websites that you can submit to search engines like Google Search Console or Bing Webmaster Tools.
Install Yoast SEO Plugin
To install and set up the Yoast SEO plugin, scroll to WordPress dashboard > Plugin section. Search Yoast and Download Yoast Plugin. Or you can follow our guide on how to install a WordPress plugin.
- Search Yoast SEO Plugin and
- Install Plugin, Or you can download it from the WordPress library and upload it.
- After Installation, Click on Activate, as shown in the picture above. It will integrate the Yoast SEO plugin with the WordPress website.
General Feature set up for Yoast SEO Plugin.
General Features settings include the most critical part for the SEO like
- SEO Analysis: This will allow you to keep an eye on the optimization of content for the search engine,
- Readability analysis: This is the readability score that indicates article hardness,
- Cornerstone content are those content that is not interlinked with other content but is very important for SEO,
- Text Link Counter: counts the total words used in the content,
- XML sitemap: This will generate the XML sitemap for your WordPress website. This XML file included posts and page sitemaps. Index sitemap for the main sitemap includes all sitemaps that can access at https://www.example.com/sitemap_index.xml, where example.com is your website URL.
- Ryte integration: With the help of Ryte, you can analyze your entire website for technical errors and discover optimization potentials.
- Admin bar menu displays the Yoast bar on the top of the WordPress dashboard for Admins.
- Author: This indicates the admin control over the content, not of the author,
- Rest API: That’ll give you all the metadata you need for a specific URL.
You can enable all the features discussed above of the Yoast SEO plugin by navigating to:-
- Scroll to Yoast SEO dashboard
- Click on the General settings tab.
- Now select Features and enable the settings as displayed above and then click on the Save button.
Search Appearance General Settings.
The appearance of your website’s contents in the search results is declared in the search appearance General Settings of the Yoast SEO plugin. That means how should pages or posts appear in the search results.
You can access the search appearance of the website at
- Navigate to Search Appearance, as shown in the image above.
- Click on General Tab for all general settings.
- Select the type of your website or blog, whether it is Personal or Organization. For a blog type, you can select Organization.
- Provide the organization name or your blog name.
- Logo URL, provide the URL of the logo of your website.
- Save the settings.
Yoast SEO Pages and Post content settings
Post and Page content type settings are crucial for the search engine optimization of the website. Yoast SEO allows you to set up posts and pages appearance in search results; in other words, we can declare how our website result should appear in the search results. Posts and pages are the most crucial part of a website, so we can’t ignore these settings.
- Click on the Content-Type tab to access content appearance settings.
The content type will include all the types of content available on your website. The default is posts and pages. In addition, there may be a theme or plugin-generated content. The posts and pages should be allowed to index in the search engine. But for additional content, will entirely depend on you.
Settings for Single Post URLs.
Yoast SEO allows defining the appearance settings for each single post URL. You can customize the Title or description of the post content.
- Show post in Search Result: Enable this feature to allow the search engine to index the post content.
- SEO Settings for Post: Turn on this feature to track the content SEO while creating.
- SEO Title: Set this to the only Title, as the search engine support 60 characters Title.
- Meta description: Enter Excerpt to auto-generate description of every post. It will generate an auto description from the content. But we advise you to write a meta description of every post separately. You can clear auto Excerpt in the post and can manually enter the description of the content.
- Schema Markup Settings- Page Type: This will provide the schema structure data to your website. The default page type is the webpage.
- Schema Markup Settings-Article Type: Enable this option to generate Schema markup structure data to the WordPress website.
Single Page URLs.
Pages are the permanent type of content of the website. The pages may contain images or may not. That’s why we can’t generate Article type schema markup for pages. As if there is no image in the content, the schema markup generates some errors. That will result in a JSON-LD mistake in the search console.
- Show pages in the search result: This option will allow the search engine to index the website’s pages.
- SEO Setting for Page: This allows you to track page SEO, Keep this option on.
- SEO Title: Enter the term Title to generate the main heading tag as the Title. You can customize it later for every post.
- Meta Description: You can enter Excerpt to generate an auto description, but we advise you to leave it blank and provide the description for each post.
- Schema Markup settings: Select the default Webpage type schema markup to avoid errors in the structure data.
- Save changes.
Yoast SEO Media Settings.
The media settings include the media attach to the content. If we don’t define any rule for media content, all the media will be indexed in the search engine separately.
For example, if we did define any media rule for this post, all the images used in this article will index separately.
- Select Media Tab for attachments SEO.
- Select Yes for attachment URL redirect as shown and save the settings. This will disallow the search engine to index media separately. Instead of that main content will rank.
Taxonomies define the structure of a website for the user as they include categories, tags, post formats, etc. You may think that website structure must be indexed, right? But it is not so; we can’t index these pages due to duplicate content issues.
You’ll understand why we noindex some pages at the end of this article. You should follow all steps provided here for the best SEO settings.
We’ve to noindex all the Taxonomies for this. So there is no need to change the Title for these pages.
- Click on the Taxonomies Settings tab.
- Show Category in Search Result: You can enable this if the blog has a good number of posts in each category and otherwise disable it.
- Yoast SEO Meta Box display: Enable these settings, no matter you index or noindex the category section.
- Tag in Search Result: No, this will noindex the tags
- Yoast SEO Meta Box display: Show or hidden, as the tags are already noindex, not affecting anything.
- Format Based Archive: Yes, for user experience.
- Display in Google Search Engine: No, to noindex the archive.
- Category URL Prefix: Keep. It will not change the existing structure of your website.
- Save Settings for Taxonomies.
As the name suggests, the archive includes containing the archive by date, author. To avoid duplicate content issues, we should noindex the archives section.
- Select the Archive Settings Tab for Yoast SEO
- Author Archive: Enabled. This may increase user engagement on the website.
- Author Archive in Search Result: No, to noindex all the author archives.
- Save Archive Settings.
Breadcrumbs Settings Yoast SEO Plugin.
Breadcrumbs are the navigation tool for a webpage. It can define the location of the webpage to users as well as to search engines.
- Breadcrumbs settings tab for Yoast SEO Plugin
- If you want to display hierarchy in the search results, click it to enable otherwise disable. We recommend that you should enable this feature.
- Now Save settings for breadcrumbs.
RSS Feed settings to protect the content
These are RSS feed injection settings. If you believe that someone is copying your website’s content using an RSS feed without your permission. You can add the variable provided to add the link of your website in the RSS feed.
So whenever someone fetches the content from your website with the help of the RSS feed, it will automatically add a backlink of your website to the copied post. This backlink helps the search engine to understand the source of original content.
- Yoast SEO RSS settings tab
- It is to protect your RSS feed, so don’t change and click on the Save button.
You can change the variable if you believe that someone is copying the content using the RSS feed.
Yoast SEO Edit Robots.txt File
Whenever the search engine crawls your website, first, it will interact with the robots.txt file. This file contains the crawling rules that the search engine should follow.
- Scroll to the tools.
- Click on File editor.
User-agent: * Disallow: /wp-admin/ Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php Allow: / Sitemap: https://yourwebsite.com/sitemap_index.xml
- Enter an SEO-friendly robots.txt file with a sitemap path that doesn’t block the crawling bot. Provide a sitemap.
- Save robots.txt settings.
We index the homepage, pages, and posts for the best SEO settings. Some posts contain multiple categories or tags, and all the links of these tags and categories are interlinked and followed by a search engine bot, which means the same content will be available with different URLs or tags. Categories and tag pages create duplicate content issues and work as junk, so we’ve to noindex such pages.
Robots.txt settings: robots.txt file must contain sitemap/s, so we included that, and to avoid crawling bot error, we allow all the bots(except admin pages).
After making all these settings, an SEO-friendly article is also the need of time. You can check how you can properly structure your webpage.
If any issue you face with these settings, please comment below. Thanks. Enjoy your day!