Yoast SEO plugin is one of the famous WordPress SEO plugins. But if you don’t know how to use it, it will be like you’ve one of the best cars in the world, but you don’t know how to drive. This tutorial article will discuss how to set up the Yoast SEO plugin for the best results.
What is Yoast SEO Plugin?
Yoast SEO Plugin’s settings allows you to the customize page structure for the search engine. We can declare what shoud index, what should not; what to include in the sitemap and what to not.
The Yoast SEO plugin also helps in analyzing the content for the search engine. There are two features available with this plugin,
- Readability Score: where you can check the toughness of words or sentence used in the article,
- SEO Score: How the search engine can understand the content.
It also generate XML sitemap for WordPress website, that can be submitted to the search engine like Google Search Console or Bing Webmaster Tools.
Yoast SEO Installation
To install and set up the Yoast SEO plugin, visit your WordPress website’s admin panel and click on the plugin as shown below. Search Yoast and Download Yoast Plugin.
- Search Yoast SEO Plugin and
- Install Plugin, Or you can download it from the WordPress library and upload it.
- After Installation click on Activate as shown in Picture above.
General Feature Settings for Yoast SEO Plugin
General Features settings includes most critical part for the SEO like
- SEO Analysis: This will allow you to keep an eye on the optimization of content for the search engine,
- Readability analysis: This is the readability score that indicates article hardness,
- Cornerstone content are those content that is not interlinked with other content but very important for SEO,
- Text Link Counter: counts the total words used in the content,
- XML sitemap: This will generate the XML sitemap for your WordPress website.
- Ryte integration: With the help of Ryte, you can analyze your entire website for technical errors and discover optimization potentials.
- Admin bar menu displays the Yoast bar for Admins.
- Author: This indicates the admin control over the content, not of the author,
- Rest API: That’ll give you all the metadata you need for a specific URL.
- Go to SEO Plugin Settings.
- Click on General Settings.
- Click on Features and Select the settings as displayed above and then click on the Save button.
Search Appearance General Settings Yoast SEO Plugin.
This setting declares the search appearance for the Yoast SEO plugin. That means how should pages or posts appear in the search results.
- Now click on Search Appearance Settings.
- Click on General Settings Tab.
- Selection “Personal” or “Organization” website type as per your need.
- Provide your organization name.
- Provide the URL of your website logo.
- Save the settings.
Yoast SEO Content Type Settings
- Now click on Content-Type Tab.
- Select “Yes” for the post to index in search results
- Select Date Preview “show” or “hide” as per your need. (hint: for blogs, click show, and for static content click hide)
- Yoast SEO meta box to be displayed – select show
- SEO title of Posts that would appear in the search results.
- Select “Yes” for the pages to index in search results
- Select Date Preview “show” or “hide” as per your need.
- Yoast SEO meta box to be displayed – select show
- SEO title of Pages that would appear in the search results.
- Cloud Template in the search result – No
- Date of that – No
- Yoast SEO meta box – yes or no, anything you like.
- Click on Save Settings.
Yoast SEO Media Settings.
- Select Media Tab
- Select Yes for attachment URL redirect as shown and save the settings.
You’ll understand why we noindex some pages at the end of this article. Please follow all steps provided here for the best SEO settings.
- Click on the Taxonomies Settings tab.
- For Categories to index, select: No.
- Yoast SEO Meta Box display: Show.
- Tag in Search Result: No.
- Yoast SEO Meta Box display: Show(here hidden, but you can check it as the show).
- Format Based Archive: Yes.
- Display in Google Search Engine: No
- Category URL Prefix: Keep.
- Save Settings for Taxonomies.
- Select the Archive Settings Tab for Yoast SEO
- Author Archive: Enabled.
- Author Archive in Search Result: No
- Save Archive Settings.
Breadcrumbs Settings Yoast SEO Plugin
- Breadcrumbs settings tab for Yoast SEO Plugin
- If you want to display hierarchy in the search results, click it to enable otherwise disable.
- Now Save settings for breadcrumbs.
- Yoast SEO RSS settings tab
- It is to protect your RSS feed, so don’t change and click on the Save button.
Yoast SEO Edit Robots.txt File
Whenever the search engine crawls your website, first, it will interact with the robots.txt file. This file contains the crawling rules that the search engine should follow.
- Scroll to the tools.
- Click on File editor
User-agent: * Disallow: /wp-admin/ Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php Allow: / Sitemap: https://yourwebsite.com/sitemap_index.xml
- Enter an SEO-friendly robots.txt file with a sitemap path that doesn’t block the crawling bot. Provide a sitemap.
- Save robots.txt settings.
We index the homepage, pages, and posts for the best SEO settings. Some posts contain multiple categories or tags, and all the links of these tags and categories are interlinked and followed by a search engine bot, which means the same content will be available with different URLs or tags. Categories and tag pages create duplicate content issues and work as junk, so we’ve to noindex such pages.
Robots.txt settings: robots.txt file must contain sitemap/s, so we included that, and to avoid crawling bot error, we allow all pages for all the bots(except admin pages).
After making all these settings, an SEO-friendly article is also the need of time. You can check how you can properly structure your webpage.
If any issue you face with these settings, please comment below. Thanks. Enjoy your day!